[Information provided by:
ClinicalTrials.gov, which provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.]
|NCT00991029 : Platelet-Oriented Inhibition in New TIA and Minor Ischemic Stroke (POINT) Trial|
|Ages||Min: 18 Years Max: N/A|
- Neurological deficit (based on history or exam) attributed to focal brain ischemia
- High risk TIA: Complete resolution of the deficit at the time of randomization
AND ABCD2 score of (greater than or equal to) 4 OR
- Minor ischemic stroke: residual deficit with NIHSS of (less than or equal to) 3
at the time of randomization
- Ability to randomize within 12 hours of time last known free of new ischemic
- Head CT or MRI ruling out hemorrhage or other pathology, such as vascular
malformation, tumor, or abscess, that could explain symptoms or contraindicate
- Ability to tolerate aspirin at a does of 50-325 mg/day.
- Age <18 years
- TIA symptoms limited to isolated numbness, isolated visual changes, or isolated
- In the judgment of the treating physician, a candidate for thrombolysis,
endarterectomy or endovascular intervention, unless the subject declines both
endarterectomy and endovascular intervention at the time of evaluation for
- Receipt of any intravenous or intra-arterial thrombolysis within 1 week prior to
- Gastrointestinal bleed or major surgery within 3 months prior to index event.
- History of nontraumatic intracranial hemorrhage.
- Clear indication for anticoagulation (e.g., warfarin, heparin) anticipated during the
study period (atrial fibrillation, mechanical heart valve, deep venous thrombosis,
pulmonary embolism, antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, hypercoagulable state).
- Qualifying ischemic event induced by angiography or surgery.
- Severe non-cardiovascular comorbidity with life expectancy <3 months.
- Contraindication to clopidogrel or aspirin.
- Known allergy
- Severe renal (serum creatinine >2 mg/dL or 176.8umol/L) or hepatic insufficiency
(prior or concurrent diagnosis, with International Normalized Ratio (INR)>1.5 or
any resultant complication, such as variceal bleeding, encephalopathy, or
- Hemostatic disorder or systemic bleeding in the past 3 months
- Current thrombocytopenia (platelet count <100 x10^9/l) or neutropenia (<1
- History of drug-induced hematologic or hepatic abnormalities
- Anticipated requirement for long-term (>7 day) non-study antiplatelet drugs (eg,
dipyridamole, clopidogrel, ticlopidine), or Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs
(NSAIDs) affecting platelet function (such as prior vascular stent or arthritis).
- Inability to swallow medications.
- At risk for pregnancy: premenopausal or post menopausal woman within 12 months of
last menses without a negative pregnancy test or not committing to adequate birth
control (e.g., oral contraceptive, two methods of barrier birth control, or
- Unavailability for follow-up.
- Signed and dated informed consent not obtained from patient.
- Other neurological conditions that would complicate assessment of outcomes during
- Ongoing treatment in another study of an investigational therapy or treatment in such
a study within the last 7 days.
- Previously enrolled in the POINT study.
|Links||Permanent Link to THIS page: https://virtualtrials.com/nct/display1trial.cfm?nct=NCT00991029
| Link to official Clinicaltrials.gov listing