[Information provided by:
ClinicalTrials.gov, which provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.]
|NCT01563731 : Optimal Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Targets for Preventing Recurrent Stroke in Hypertensives|
|Ages||Min: 65 Years Max: N/A|
- Qualifying event: stroke or TIA 1 to 6 months previous to randomization.
- All patients should have a CT scan or MRI (preferably MRI) at screening. The CT scan
or MRI carried out at the time of the qualifying event, if available, is acceptable.
Stroke will be defined as imaging evidence of a recent brain infarction (or
haemorrhage) independently of duration of clinical symptoms, or as duration of
clinical symptoms > 24 h even in absence of imaging evidence of lesion
- TIA as clinical symptoms (involving limbs or speech) lasting < 24 h without imaging
evidence of infarction. Enrolling units should avoid enrolling patients with TIA in a
proportion greater than 25% of enrolled patients. The general coordinators in Milan
and Beijing may decide stopping enrolment of TIA patients if their proportion is
becoming greater than expected.
- A haemorrhagic stroke (1 to 6 months previously) is also a qualifying event, but only
for the BP-lowering component of the trial (see Exclusion criteria).
- Age: 65 years and above. No fixed upper age limit is introduced, but frail patients
aged above 80 years should not be enrolled.
- Gender: either gender.
- BP: Only hypertensive patients: untreated patients with SBP ?140 mmHg; patients on
antihypertensive treatment with any BP (but see exclusion criteria)
- LDL-C: Patients without statin treatment with LDL-C > 2.8 mmol/l; patients on statin
treatment with any LDL-C value (but see exclusion criteria)
- Antiplatelet therapy: All patients should be under antiplatelet therapy (agents and
doses chosen by the investigator according to accepted guidelines), unless
contraindicated. Anticoagulant (instead of antiplatelet) therapy whenever indicated
(e.g. atrial fibrillation).
- Qualifying event:
1. Patients in unstable clinical conditions
2. Clinical disturbances caused by non-stroke pathology
3. patients with haemodynamically significant carotid stenosis or requiring carotid
4. haemorrhagic stroke is an exclusion criterion for the lipid lowering component
of the trial; however, these patients should be randomized to the BP component,
but considered in addition to the number of patients requested to each enrolling
unit, in order not to decrease the power of the lipid-lowering component.
- BP: - known secondary hypertension;
- SBP >140 mmHg under three antihypertensive drugs at full doses (these patients are
unlikely to achieve SBP < 125 mmHg, if so randomized);
- orthostatic hypotension (SBP fall > 25 mmHg on standing);
- LDL-C: - LDL-C >2.8 mmol/l under full dose of a statin (these patients are unlikely
to achieve LDL-C targets).
- LDL-C > 4.5 mmol/l under low dose of a statin or untreated (these patients are
unlikely to achieve the lower LDL-C target).
- Others: - Patients with a myocardial infarction (preceding or subsequent to the
qualifying stroke or TIA) if their baseline LDL-C is < 1.8 mmol/l
- Severe disability (modified Rankin scale > 4)
- Severe chronic renal failure defined as serum creatinine > 250 micromol/l
- Hepatic disease as determined by either AST or ALT values > 2 times the upper limit
- History of hepatic encephalopathy, esophageal varices or portocaval shunt
- History of gastrointestinal surgery or disorders which could interfere with drug
- Known allergy or contraindications to one of the drugs to be administered in the
- History of malignancy including leukaemia and lymphoma (but not basal cell skin
cancer) within the last 5 years
- History of clinically significant autoimmune disorders such as systemic lupus
- History of drug or alcohol abuse within the last 5 years
- History of non-compliance to medical regimens and/or patients who are considered
- Inability or unwillingness to give free informed consent
|Links||Permanent Link to THIS page: https://virtualtrials.com/nct/display1trial.cfm?nct=NCT01563731
| Link to official Clinicaltrials.gov listing