[Information provided by:
ClinicalTrials.gov, which provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.]
|NCT02283853 : Phase 3 Efficacy and Safety Study of BG00012 in Pediatric Subjects With Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS)|
|Ages||Min: 10 Years Max: 17 Years|
Key Inclusion Criteria:
- Must have a body weight of ?30 kg.
- Must have a diagnosis of RRMS (consensus definition for pediatric RRMS [Krupp 2007]).
- Must be ambulatory with a baseline EDSS score between 0 and 5.5, inclusive.
- Must have experienced at least 1 of the following 3 conditions: a) at least 1 relapse
within the last 12 months prior to Day 1 with a prior brain MRI demonstrating lesions
consistent with MS; b) at least 2 relapses within the last 24 months prior to Day 1,
with a prior brain MRI demonstrating lesions consistent with MS; c) evidence of
Gd-enhancing lesions of the brain on an MRI performed within the 6 weeks prior to Day
- Must be neurologically stable, with no evidence of relapse within 50 days prior to Day
1 and no evidence of corticosteroid treatment within 30 days prior to Day 1.
- Subjects of childbearing potential who are sexually active must be willing to practice
effective contraception during the study and be willing and able to continue
contraception for at least 30 days after their final dose of study treatment.
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- Primary progressive, secondary progressive, or progressive relapsing MS (as defined by
[Lublin and Reingold 1996]). These conditions require the presence of continuous
clinical disease worsening over a period of at least 3 months. Subjects with these
conditions may also have superimposed relapses but are distinguished from
relapsing-remitting subjects by the lack of clinically stable periods or clinical
- Disorders mimicking MS, such as other demyelinating disorders (e.g., acute
disseminated encephalomyelitis), systemic autoimmune disorders (e.g., Sjögren disease,
lupus erythematosus), metabolic disorders (e.g., dystrophies), and infectious
- History of premalignant or malignant disease. Subjects with basal cell carcinoma that
has been completely excised prior to screening will remain eligible.
- History of severe allergic or anaphylactic reactions, or known drug hypersensitivity
to DMF, fumaric acid esters, or interferon beta-1a (IFN Beta-1a).
- History of abnormal laboratory results indicative of any significant endocrinologic,
hematologic, hepatic, immunologic, metabolic, urologic, renal, and/or any other major
disease that would preclude participation in a clinical study.
- History of clinically significant cardiovascular, pulmonary, GI, dermatologic, growth,
developmental, psychiatric (including depression), neurologic (other than MS), and/or
other major disease that would preclude participation in a clinical study.
-.History of human immunodeficiency virus.
- An MS relapse that has occurred within 50 days prior to Day 1 AND/OR the subject has
not stabilized from a previous relapse prior to Day 1.
- Other unspecified reasons that, in the opinion of the Investigator or Biogen Idec,
make the subject unsuitable for enrollment.
- For the PD/PK subset of subjects: subjects unable to swallow the BG00012 capsule
Key Treatment history
- Any previous treatment with Fumaderm (fumaric acid esters) or BG00012.
- Prior treatment with any of the following: total lymphoid irradiation, cladribine,
T-cell or T-cell receptor vaccination, any therapeutic monoclonal antibody, with the
exception of rituximab or natalizumab.
- Prior treatment with any of the following medications within the 12 months prior to
Day 1: mitoxantrone, cyclophosphamide, rituximab.
- Prior treatment with any of the following medications or procedures within 6 months
prior to Day 1: fingolimod; teriflunomide; natalizumab; cyclosporine; azathioprine;
methotrexate; mycophenolate mofetil; laquinimod; intravenous (IV) immunoglobulin;
plasmapheresis or cytapheresis
- Treatment with any of the following medications within 30 days prior to Day 1:
steroids (IV or oral corticosteroid treatment, including agents that may not act
through the corticosteroid pathway [e.g.low dose naltrexone]), 4-aminopyridine or
related products (except subjects on a stable dose of controlled-release fampridine
for 3 months)
NOTE: Other protocol-defined inclusion/exclusion criteria may apply
|Links||Permanent Link to THIS page: https://virtualtrials.com/nct/display1trial.cfm?nct=NCT02283853
| Link to official Clinicaltrials.gov listing