[Information provided by:
ClinicalTrials.gov, which provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.]
|NCT02292368 : Neurological Effects of Acupuncture|
|Ages||Min: 18 Years Max: N/A|
1. 18 years of age and be able to give informed consent.
2. Diagnosed with head and neck cancer, which will be primarily nasopharyngeal, and
scheduled to undergo IMRT or proton with or without concurrent chemotherapy at MD
Anderson or Fudan University.
3. Treatment plan that includes external beam radiation at a mean dose of at least 24 Gy
or more to one of the parotid glands (the other gland can receive less than 24 Gy).
4. Anatomically intact parotid and submandibular glands.
5. Karnofsky performance status > 60.
6. Must be right-handed.
1. History of xerostomia prior to head and neck radiation therapy or history of
Sjögren's disease or another underlying systemic illness known to cause xerostomia.
2. Prior head and neck radiation treatment.
3. Suspected or confirmed physical closure of salivary gland ducts on either side.
4. Known bleeding disorders or taking any dose of warfarin or heparin.
5. Upper or lower extremity deformities (ie, missing limbs or scars that prevent needle
insertion at the acupuncture points) that could interfere with accurate acupoint
location or alter the energy pathway as defined by traditional acupuncture theory.
6. Local skin infections at or near the acupuncture sites or are under treatment for
active systemic infection.
7. History of cerebrovascular accident or spinal cord injury since the mechanism of
acupuncture may be associated with central nervous system activity.
8. Documented history of mental incapacitation or significant emotional or psychiatric
disorder (i.e. bipolar, schizophrenia) that, in the opinion of the investigator,
precludes study entry as these patients may not be able to cooperate with this
slightly invasive procedure or with the data collection process.
9. Current acknowledged use of any illicit drugs or evidence of alcohol abuse as defined
by The American Psychiatric Association criteria.
10. Patients who are currently receiving acupuncture for any condition or if they have
ever had acupuncture before.
|Links||Permanent Link to THIS page: https://virtualtrials.com/nct/display1trial.cfm?nct=NCT02292368
| Link to official Clinicaltrials.gov listing