[Information provided by:
ClinicalTrials.gov, which provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.]
|NCT02334904 : Comparison of Aripiprazole Versus Risperidone on Brain Morphology Using MRI|
|Ages||Min: 12 Years Max: N/A|
- Male or female, aged 12+ years for healthy participants or participants with bipolar
disorder; or aged 15+ years for participants with non-affective psychosis.
- Recent admission to the Vancouver/Richmond Early Psychosis Intervention (EPI) program
related to first episode psychosis or first episode bipolar disorder;
- Participants being treated with an antipsychotic medication principally for psychosis
or for bipolar disorder.
- Participants taking aripiprazole must be taking a dose of at least 10mg/day for the
duration of the study.
- Participants must have received a minimum of 3 months of continuous antipsychotic
drug treatment with either aripiprazole or risperidone principally for psychosis or
- Participants may be in- or outpatients.
- Participants able to give informed consent, or informed consent through legally
- Total life time exposure to the antipsychotic drug aripiprazole vs risperidone for
less than 3 months at time of consent.
- Previously diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, seizure disorders, mental retardation
(IQ < 70), or pregnancy (current or within 3 months postpartum)
- Participants who have been treated/are currently being treated with mood stabilizers
(paroxetine, lithium, or valproic acid). Prior or concurrent use of Selective
Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor antidepressants (other than paroxetine) is acceptable..
- Received antipsychotic polypharmacy (treatment with more than one antipsychotic drug)
- Participants who are not able to fluently communicate in English.
- Contraindicated for MRI scan (i.e., has had major surgery in the last 6 months,
morbid obesity, claustrophobia, and/or has metal in their bodies from a surgical
intervention or working in metalwork, or is unsure if metal is present in their
|Links||Permanent Link to THIS page: https://virtualtrials.com/nct/display1trial.cfm?nct=NCT02334904
| Link to official Clinicaltrials.gov listing