[Information provided by:
ClinicalTrials.gov, which provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.]
|NCT03290326 : tACS for Amyloid-? Reduction in Alzheimer's Disease|
|Ages||Min: 45 Years Max: N/A|
- Clinical Diagnosis of mild AD defined by: Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR) = 0.5-1, Mini
Mental State Examination (MMSE) >/= 20, Demonstration or history of memory impairments
- Amyloid positive PET imaging
- At least 45 years old
- On a stable dose of medications for memory loss including cholinesterase inhibitors
(e.g. donepezil, rivastigmine or memantine) as defined as 6 consecutive weeks of
treatment at an unchanging dose
- Intelligence Quotient (IQ) > 85 as determined by the Wechsler Test of Adult Reading
(WTAR) and no history of intellectual disability
- Current history of poorly controlled migraines including chronic medication for
- Current or past history of any neurological disorder other than dementia, such as
epilepsy, stroke, progressive neurologic disease (e.g. multiple sclerosis) or
intracranial brain lesions; and history of previous neurosurgery or head trauma that
resulted in residual neurologic impairment.
- Past or current history of major depression, bipolar disorder or psychotic disorders,
or any other major psychiatric condition.
- Contraindication for undergoing MRI or receiving Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
(TMS) or tACS,
• History of fainting spells of unknown or undetermined etiology that might constitute
- History of seizures, diagnosis of epilepsy, history of abnormal (epileptiform) EEG or
immediate (1st degree relative) family history of epilepsy; with the exception of a
single seizure of benign etiology (e.g. febrile seizure) in the judgment of the
- Chronic (particularly) uncontrolled medical conditions that may cause a medical
emergency in case of a provoked seizure (cardiac malformation, cardiac dysrhythmia,
- Metal implants (excluding dental fillings) or devices such as pacemaker, medication
pump, nerve stimulator, Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator (TENS) unit,
ventriculo-peritoneal shunt, cochlear implant, unless cleared by the study MD.
- Substance abuse or dependence within the past six months.
- Medications will be reviewed by the responsible MD and a decision about inclusion will
be made based on the following: The patient's past medical history, drug dose, history
of recent medication changes or duration of treatment, and combination of Central
Nervous System (CNS) active drugs.
- All female participants that are pre-menopausal will be required to have a pregnancy
test; any participant who is pregnant will not be enrolled in the study.
- BMI > 40 kg/m2. We will limit the BMI to <40 kg/m2 because of weight limits of the
scanner bed and width limits of the MRI.
- Subjects who, in the investigator's opinion, might not be suitable for the study
- A hair style or head dress that prevents electrode contact with the scalp or would
interfere with the stimulation (for example: thick braids, hair weave, afro, wig)
|Links||Permanent Link to THIS page: https://virtualtrials.com/nct/display1trial.cfm?nct=NCT03290326
| Link to official Clinicaltrials.gov listing