Last Updated: 2/1/2016
We operate under a strict set of privacy principles:
- The only information we obtain about individual visitors to our Web site
is information supplied voluntarily by visitors.
- In cases when we may need personal information to provide visitors with services
tailored especially for them, or to inform them about new features or services,
visitors are asked explicitly for that information.
- All identifiable information provided by members (name, phone number, credit card information, password,
email or home address) will not be disclosed to anyone outside of the Musella Foundation For Brain Tumor Research & Information.
- Only statistical information of our members as a group may be shared with
any partner of the Musella Foundation; no identifiable information or email addresses will be shared at any time.
- The Musella Foundation For Brain Tumor Research & Information
employs strict security and encryption measures to safeguard online transactions and personal
- If you make a donation to our organization, your name and address will be added to our mailing list, which we use to solicit donations in the future. We do not share or sell our list with any other organization, and in the past, we have limited mailings to once a year - but may increase that in the future. If you do not wish to be added to our mailing list, just tell us not to add you to our mailing list. You can tell us at the time of the donation or now. Use our feedback form and give us the name and address you wish to remove and we will remove it immediately.
All of our services are free to you, including: our extensive video library, our "Guide for the newly diagnosed brain tumor patient", online support groups, extensive library of original articles, brain tumor news blast, toll free patient help line, co-payment assistance program, drug discount card program and much more.
These programs cost a lot of money to provide to you. We (the executive board of the Musella Foundation For Brain Tumor Research & Information, Inc) have decided to accept sponsorships and advertising on our website and newsletters to offset these costs, instead of charging you for this potentially life saving information. Our thoughts are that our efforts can help the most people if it is free to them, so we accept advertising and sponsorship.
Most - or all - of income from sponsorship and advertising comes from the companies that make products needed by the brain tumor community. Sponsorship is in the form of unrestricted educational grants. These companies are acknowledged on our sponsors page. There are policies in place to prevent any influence of the sponsors on the editorial content of this website. Our editor is a paid employee of the Musella Foundation For Brain Tumor Research & Information, Inc, but his salary is in no way influenced by any of the sponsors. The salary is not based on how many sponsors participate, how much they give or if we lose a sponsor. His salary is set by the executive committee without any input from the sponsors.
We reserve the right to reject any advertising that is against our mission and will not accept any advertising that we feel is not in the best interest of brain tumor patients. The appearance of an advertisement on virtualtrials.com (or in our newsletters or support groups) is not an endorsement of the sponsor. We are not responsible for the content of the ads. We suggest that you look at the ads and if the product or service looks good to you, bring it to your doctors and discuss it with them.. Our main purpose is to give you the information you need to find and understand the options - not to make the decisions for you.
All advertising on the site is will be clearly identified as advertising and is kept separate from editorial content - always enclosed in a box that says SPONONSORED BY or SPONSORED LINKS. The sponsors do not sponsor a particular page - the order of the banners is random. Every time you reload a page, the banner ad changes to the next sponsor in the rotation. The only exception to this rule is the trial listings - where we allow sponsors to select the category to sponsor such as trials for a particular tumor type, treatment type or geographical area. Those ads are clearly marked as SPONSORED LINKS and are always for a trial for the selected category.
We make every effort to provide you with balanced, responsible, encouraging, and thorough information. All content has been reviewed by health care professionals. In some cases, articles are written by patient advocates - these articles are always reviewed by a health care professional before being posted on our website. The only exception to this rule is the survivor stories - which are written by the brain tumor patient or caregiver. We feel that it is not appropriate to change their words.
We maintain complete editorial independence and separation from advertisers and sponsors at the site. None of the content is screened, altered, or edited by sponsors at any time.
- If you make a donation online and change your mind within 24 hours, use our feedback form and tell us to cancel the donation. After 24 hours, call us at 888-295-4740 and we can cancel the donation only if the tax receipt and/or acknowledgement to the family hasn't been mailed out yet.
- If you make a donation by mail and want to change your mind, call us at 888-295-4740 and we can cancel it only if the tax receipt and/or acknowledgement to the family hasn't been mailed out yet.
- If you buy a ticket to one of our events, you can cancel and get a refund up to 48 hours before the event. Call us at 888-295-4740 to cancel. If you received an actual ticket in the mail, you must return the ticket at least 48 hours before the event so we can resell it.
Bad Check Policy
There is a $25 charge for bounced checks plus the amount of the check.
If you purchases something from us, we will ship it within 1 week, with the exception of tickets which we usually (check event page for details) ship a few days before the event. If you need something in a hurry - call us before ordering and we can tell you if it is possible to ship it immediately!
We use Google Analytics and Google Adwords to track visitors to our website. The reports we get do NOT show your name or provide any way that we could tell who you are. They just show us aggregate information such as how our visitors got to our website, what browser they use, general location, and the language used. There is no way to opt out of this tracking.